Parents & Carers Community

 View Only

Blog | Saving lives with AEDs – 3 things P&C Associations can do

By Kristy Wan posted 11-04-2024 10:48


By Heart of a Nation

Over 25,000 Australians suffer from sudden cardiac arrest every year. It is a life-threatening problem where the heart suddenly stops. Adults and children can experience cardiac arrest – anyone in the school or around the school may experience a cardiac arrest.

When cardiac arrest occurs, every second counts, and having access to an automated external defibrillator (AED) can mean the difference between life and death.

95% of victims don't survive. But having an AED nearby can boost survival chances from a meagre 5% to 70%.

As vital as these devices are, many schools and community centres lack sufficient access to them. That's why P&C Associations, as integral parts of their communities, should consider fundraising efforts to become AED Hubs and provide AEDs and training in their schools.

Heart of the Nation is urging School P&C Associations to fundraise and become an AED Hub for their community. Learn more on how your school and community can get involved:

What is an AED?

An AED, or automated external defibrillator is a medical device that can analyse the heart's rhythm and, if necessary, deliver an electrical shock, or defibrillation, to help the heart re-establish an effective rhythm.

Time matters when it comes to cardiac arrest. Having a publicly accessible AED at the heart of your community could help save a life.

What P&Cs can do

Raise awareness

P&C Associations can also raise awareness about the importance of AEDs and provide education on how to use them. Hosting informational sessions or workshops can equip community members with the knowledge and confidence to respond effectively in emergency situations. Your P&C can foster a culture of preparedness and empowerment by creating an AED Hub for the community.


Fundraise at your school to have a AED installed by Heart of the Nation. The cost of an AED, and access to online training is $2,728 (as at April 2024).

Heart of the Nation can set you up a fundraising page and once the total is reached, they will send you out the AED for you to easily install.

Families can also fundraise with the neighbours in their street to place an AED on the outside of their home, for them and the neighbours to access if needed.

Collaboration and support

Leverage your partnerships with local businesses, councils, and organisations to secure donations or grants towards purchasing AEDs and related training programs. By rallying support from various stakeholders, communities can work together to make AEDs accessible in schools and public spaces.

Good design, not good luckPut your school at the Heart of the fight against cardiac arrest by fundraising for a publicly accessible AED.

In times of crisis, access to an AED can make all the difference between life and death.

Greg Page, the Original Yellow Wiggle knows this all too well. He was fortunate to survive a sudden cardiac arrest when he was performing with the Original Wiggles in January 2020. Now, he is on a mission to ensure that more Aussies survive a cardiac arrest, not through good luck, but through good design.

P&C Associations have a unique opportunity to lead fundraising efforts to provide AEDs in their schools and public spaces, empowering their communities to respond to sudden cardiac arrest. By raising awareness, fostering collaboration, and implementing creative fundraising strategies, P&C Associations can play a vital role in saving lives and creating safer environments for all. Together, we can make a difference and ensure that every community member has the best chance of surviving cardiac emergencies.

Become an AED Hub for your community.

Learn more on how your school and community can get involved: